Thursday 24 March 2011

Pages from my sketchbook - favourite ideas

One of the first ideas I had was to physically alter the Evening Standard so it becomes more difficult to read/only parts of the newspaper are visible. I then put the newspapers back into their original context (the tube) by taking photos of my friend reading the altered newspapers - the one she is reading here is sewn through the middle of the newspaper so you can only open it at the top and bottom of the page. As another experiment I decided to print my photos on pages of the Evening Standard. I feel this experiment has worked really well aesthetically and to show a message - the images are now less easy to see/distorted slightly; representing the idea that we are all consumed by the news/it's sometimes difficult to see the real truth in news articles.
 This is another experiment I did with the photos of my altered Evening Standard. I really like the way the really narrow newspaper still covers her face - reflecting the way people read papers on the tube (no one looks at each other, hide their faces in their papers). I rotated the photo so that a mirror image is almost created - I think this works well aesthetically, but I'm not sure what I'm trying to say by doing this.
I went out around London and took photos of people reading the Evening Standard. I then had an idea to find photos in the newspaper that mirror the positions of the people in my photos - which is what I've tried doing here. I wanted the photos I took to be in black and white to symbolise the monotony of picking up and reading the Evening Standard everyday. They also contrast nicely to the colour photos taken from the paper which suggest more variety and individuality.

Here I have taken a part of a photo (newspaper) and sewn it over the Evening Standard in this photo to explore the idea that the Evening Standard is everywhere and impossible to get away from. I like the 3D aspect of this, as the newspaper almost seems delicate - think the shape created by the cut out newspaper seems delicate too. Also could be humorous - what's behind the Evening Standard...another evening standard...lol?

No comments:

Post a Comment